Thursday, April 24, 2008

Spring is Here!

Hello everybody, my fig tree is sprouting, and it's going to have it's second season of figs. I am so excited because the leaves are about as big as my hand.

One day when I was playing with my friends we were just putting seeds in our dirt clay garden and we were just going to see if they grew. Me and one of my friends planted seeds in four cups. And they were one pea in the pod vine, seven cucumbers, an airplane plant, and a cabbage that our school gave us. Whoever grows the biggest cabbage at school wins a $1000 scholarship.

I am also in a Junior Master Gardeners class that a lady who is a Master Gardener at my church teaches. We just had our pictures taken for the newspaper, and we are now an official state recognized Junior Master Gardeners class. We planted a tomato plant in class.

One day we were going on a field trip to the Ft Worth Zoo, which is one of the best zoos in Texas. My mom was a chaperon. I got to pick two of my best friends to walk around the zoo with us. While I was there we went into the big bird cage. I got a seed stick full of seeds. Four birds landed on me. My best friend Natalie had about six land on her.

OH, last night there were a few tornadoes that were headed right for us, but before they got here they went south instead. But we did have a lot of thunder. When I was sleeping, I woke up from it six times.

We made a scrapbook in school. We had to pick an animal from the canopy in the rain forest. I chose the toucan. I learned all about it; it's life cycle, what it eats, I definitely learned what it looks like, and where it lives. It was really cool to make a scrapbook.

You know how I told you that there were 9 kids in my class? Well, now there are 11 kids in my class.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Abby, I think it is so cool that you get to be in a master gardener class! I am looking forward to hearing how your plants grow. I've never heard of an airplane plant-- what is it? When the time comes for Amelia to go to school, we want to send her to one called Sunnyside, where they do a lot of gardening and cooking, and most of the learning happens through growing food. Sounds like fun, huh?

Anonymous said...

Hello dear Abby. When I was a boy my mother let me plant snap dragons in the back yard. These flowers are cool because you can pinch the flower and it looks like a mouth is opening and closing. I planted a garden this year. Four tomato plants, green beans that grow over six feet high, cucumbers, yellow neck squash and some snap peas. I haven't had a garden for a few years so the soil is rested and things are growing. I will have to have Robin take some pictures of the garden. I would love to see your garden. Sorry i didn't read your blog last month. Hope you see this entry soon. Robin just told me she has a picture of my garden that we will send to your family email address right now. Love you and your family soooooo muuuuuuch! Grandpa Cox

Anonymous said...

Abigail - I love your blogs. Also Madeline's but she doesn't blog much. When you can, take typing in school, I did and here I am typing away 68 years later. Yes, and what is an airplane plant? Where they make planes you fly in? Keep blogging, I will look from time to time to see what you have written. Poppa Robert

Robin said...

Hi Abby,
I just now found this post, even though it's been here for quite a while! I'm so glad to know how the fig tree is coming along, plus it will be great to hear if any of those seeds really grow. You're at camp right now, but when you get home, maybe you can do a blog where you tell us all about it, okay? I'm so happy about the dog you're planning to get! Grandpa and I went on the website and looked at her and she is SO cute! I can't wait till we get there in September and get to pet her! I love you, Abby!
xoxo Grandma